While I never need an excuse to make a tasty treat for my pups, did you know May 2 is National Truffles Day? While traditional human truffles are often decked in chocolate and completely unsafe for dogs, it doesn’t mean truffle treats are off the table. This safe truffles recipe for dogs is easy to make, packed with healthy ingredients and will make your dog feel like the king he is, while eating them on the fluffiest of dog beds.
✔ ½ cup pumpkin puree (unsweetened); you can also use sweet potato
✔ ¼ cup pureed banana
✔ 2 teaspoons coconut oil (melted)
✔ A sprinkle of cinnamon or any other dog-friendly spice
✔ ¾ to 1 cup coconut flour
✔ Dried unsweetened coconut for rolling
- To start making truffles for dogs, combine pumpkin, banana and coconut oil in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Add cinnamon and coconut flour to your mixture. Start with ½ cup of coconut flour and mix until mixture is combined and not too sticky. Add more flour if needed in order to roll the mixture.
- Take the dried coconut and put it into a blender or food processor until the pieces are very fine.
- Scoop a small spoonful of dough and roll into balls appropriately sized for your dog.
- Roll in dried coconut and place on parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes until firm. Store in refrigerator or freezer.
Sam is a dog lover, writer, baker, crafter and Instagrammer. When she’s not writing, she’s decorating cookies for her blog SugaredAndIced.com or Instagramming her dogs @FrenchHuggs_ and @Quinnstadoodle.